Inclusion and Diversity Policy
The concept of diversity encompasses acceptance and respect. It means understanding that each individual is unique, and recognising our individual differences. These differences include, but are not limited to gender, pregnancy and maternity, ethnicity, culture, age, physical and mental ability, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion or belief, marital and civil partnership status, education and those with a caring responsibility.
We recognise the importance that equality legislation has to play in promoting equality and eliminating unlawful discrimination, but seek to exceed our legal obligations and to provide an inclusive environment for all.
We understand that simply having diversity in our work force is not enough; we must create an inclusive environment where all people can contribute their best work.
Inclusion is engaging the uniqueness and talents, beliefs, backgrounds, capabilities and ways of working of individuals, joined in a common endeavour, to create a culture of belonging, in which people are valued and respected.
By embracing employee inclusion and diversity, we mean that talent, contribution, commitment are key to achieving our aims, and we know we can draw on the best of these from all backgrounds.
- We aim to create a workforce that is representative of our society, knowing that embracing difference enhances the capability of the Co-operative group.
- We value our people for their contribution and will celebrate diversity in all aspects of our business.
- We will seek to create a genuinely inclusive workspace which embraces similarities and differences at the individual and group levels for the attainment of the common endeavour.
- We will not tolerate bullying and harassment in any form. In addition we will endeavour to protect our employees from any form of 3rd party harassment, and from adverse treatment because of association or perception related to one of the attributes above.
- We recognise the need to support the unique and diverse needs of our customer and community base and will work to ensure that we exceed their expectations of us.
- We expect our suppliers and partners to actively support us in achieving a diverse and inclusive culture and o be able to demonstrate this.