The Co-operative Insurance has strengthened its customer proposition with the launch of a new, affordable pet insurance product.
From today, The Co-operative Insurance, will be offering dog and cat owners the peace of mind that if their animal is ill or injured, at home or abroad, their treatment will be covered.
Prices start from £10.69 per month for dog cover and £6.32 for cat cover with policies bought online benefiting from an additional 15% discount.
Two types of cover are available:
- The Classic cover option is designed for pet owners looking for essential cover for their pet and pays out up to £2,000 for any illness or injury sustained for 12 months after the condition is first identified.
- The Select Plus option offers a more comprehensive insurance where each new illness or injury is covered throughout the pets life, regardless of age or how long the condition lasts - as long as the policy is renewed each year.
Policyholders have the option to add on optional bundles*:
- The Additional Benefits bundle covers a range of eventualities such as holiday cancellation and loss, theft or straying of the pet.
- The Pet Travel bundle covers emergency vet’s fees, emergency repatriation and quarantine expenses.
Lee Mooney, Head of Pet Insurance at The Co-operative Insurance, said: “Unfortunately the majority of vet fees are an unexpected and unplanned for expense which can leave many pet owners extremely worried at what is already a distressing time when their pet is unwell.
“The new product provides an affordable, comprehensive cover with a range of flexible add on bundles so that policyholders are able to tailor the policy to meet individual needs and requirements.”
The new pet insurance product complements The Co-operative Group’s leading position with regards to animal welfare, which has the following credentials:
- In 2008 The Co-operative Group was awarded the Lifetime Achievement Award by the RSPCA for leadership on animal welfare issues
- The Co-operative Food was the first UK supermarket to ban animal testing on own brand toiletries
- In 2009 The Co-operative Bank declined finance from businesses worth an estimated £1.1m in income as these businesses did not meet our Animal Welfare ethical policy which states that we will not provide finance or services for organisations involved in animal exploitation for cosmetic or household purposes.
- The Co-operative Bank will decline organisations involved in the exploitation of great apes for experimental or commercial purposes
- The Co-operative Group has a commitment to support businesses or organisations that promote higher animal welfare standards
- In 2009 The Co-operative Asset Management tabled nine shareholder resolutions related to animal welfare concerns, all of which were supported.
With the addition of a new pet insurance product, The Co-operative Insurance now offers a comprehensive range of insurance products including; Motor, Home, Travel, Pet and Breakdown.
The Co-operative Pet Insurance is available online at www.co-operativeinsurance.co.uk or by calling 0800 294 1021.
|The Co-operative Pet Insurance Key Product Features |
||Select Plus (life cover)|
|Vet Fees Cover
|Free Legal Helpline
|Third party liability (optional -dogs only)
|Additional Benefits (Bundle)
|Death from illness or injury
|Loss by theft or straying
|Advertising & reward
|Pet travel Cover (Bundle)
|Emergency vet fees
|Advertising & reward
||Up to £300 per year
||Up to £300 per year|
||Up to £500 per year
||Up to £500 per year|
||Up to £1500 per year
||Up to £1500 per year|
For further information please contact
Jenna Moss / Catherine Laycock
The Co-operative Financial Services Press Office
Tel: 0161 903 3831 / 3833
Email : email@example.com / firstname.lastname@example.org
Notes to editors:
FOR MEDIA PURPOSES ONLY
* The Co-operative Pet Insurance is provided by Allianz Insurance Plc
Classic and Select Plus
Minimum age for insured cat/dog: 6 weeks
Maximum age of animal to process new customer policy: Cat - 10 years, Dog: 8 years (5 years or over for Select dog breeds)
Select Dog Breeds: All Mastiff breeds, Bernese Mountain Dog, Beauceron, Bulldog, Deerhound, Estrela Mountain Dog, Dogue de Bordeaux, Great Dane, Irish Wolfhound, Leonberger, Newfoundland, Old English Sheep Dog, Pyrenean Mountain Dog, Rottweiler, Shar Pei and St Bernard.
Breeds we don’t insure: Any dog that is, or is crossed with, a Pit Bull Terrier, Dogo Argentino, Perro De Presa Canario, Dogo Canario, Japanese Tosa, Fila Brasileiro, Czechoslovakian Wolfdog, Saarloos Wolfhound/Wolfdog or any wolf hybrid.
Activities we do not insure: Dogs used for security, guarding, track racing or coursing.
About The Co-operative Financial Services
The Co-operative Financial Services (CFS) is part of The Co-operative Group, which is the world’s largest consumer co-operative with around five million members, over £14 billion turnover, and core business interests in financial services, food, travel, pharmacy and funeral care. The Co-operative Group has over 5,000 retail trading outlets.
Following the merger with Britannia Building Society on 1 August 2009 CFS is one of the largest and well diversified mutual businesses operating in both retail and corporate markets.
As part of The Co-operative Group, the new business is characterised by its unique ethical and member reward policies and very high levels of customer advocacy.
The combined business has £70 billion in assets, 12,000 staff and nine million customers. It has over 300 high street branches, 20 corporate banking centres and a major presence in Manchester, London, Leek, Plymouth, Skelmersdale and Stockport.
It is the only mutual organisation that enables its members to earn financial rewards for the products they hold, as well as giving them the opportunity to have a say in how the business is run.
Allianz Insurance is one of the largest general insurers in the UK and part of the Allianz SE Group, the largest property and casualty insurer worldwide. Reassuringly in these uncertain financial times, in June 2009 the Standard and Poor's rating for Allianz Insurance was reaffirmed as AA- with a stable outlook and the rating of Allianz SE was also reaffirmed as AA with a stable outlook.
Allianz Corporate Partners is part of Allianz Insurance’s Retail Division and provides extended warranty, payment protection and all risks (including mobile technology) insurance schemes to corporate clients. These clients include retailers, manufacturers and financial services providers.