Co-op tops shoppers’ convenience poll
The Co-operative been voted the UK’s favourite convenience store by shoppers.
The CTP (Convenience Tracking Programme) awards 2015* quizzed 20,000 convenience store shoppers and 2,000 store staff and managers, and the Co-op beat off competition from the likes of Marks & Spencer, Little Waitrose and Sainsbury’s to scoop “Overall Best Convenience Retailer” of the year.
The award caps a successful few weeks for the Co-op, which also saw the business win five gold and eight silver awards at The Grocer Awards – including the coveted “Overall Product of the Year”** - as well as Sandwich Convenience Retailer of the Year at the British Sandwich Industry Awards.
Steve Murrells, CEO of The Co-operative Food said:
“To have been voted the number one convenience store by shoppers is a wonderful achievement, and particular thanks goes to all the colleagues that both work in our stores as well as those that create our award winning own brand products. Our challenge is to become the number one convenience retailer in the UK, and these awards show that we heading firmly in the right direction.”
Katie Littler, Communications Director at awards coordinators him!, said:
“Congratulations to The Co-op, who were voted for by those who’s opinion should really matter, the shoppers. The UK Convenience industry certainly has a lot to celebrate and there are so many fine examples of retailers and suppliers really listening and reacting to their shoppers needs, and of course, capitalising on sales. This award incorporates the attitudes of shoppers with regards to customer service, shopping experience, range of products, price and ultimately, would shoppers recommend the retailer – and The Co-op has come out on top!”
Co-op employees receiving the CTP Award for "Overall Best Convenience Retailer” in 2015
* The CTP Awards are the premium event in the convenience calendar and the only awards that are decided by shoppers. him! research & consulting spoke to 20,000 shoppers face-to-face in convenience stores across the UK, covering 25+ convenience fascia. They have collated over 100,000 question responses in order to bring 16 awards that recognise the cream of the industry. The awards celebrate the outstanding contribution that everyone involved in the convenience channel makes to ensure it remains the vibrant, diverse and successful industry it is today
** The Co-operative’s Truly Irresistible Kashmiri Butter Chicken, Red Onion and Spinach Pizza was awarded the ‘Grocer Gold Chairman’s Overall Product of the Year Award’ at the Grocer’s Own Label Food & Drink Awards 2015.
Other award winners in The Grocer’s Own-Label Awards 2015 were:
- Gold: The Co-operative Loved by us extra tasty whole chicken
- Gold: The Co-operative Truly Irresistible Scottish Raspberry Prosecco Pannacotta Terrine
- Gold: The Co-operative Loved by us four microwavable golden vegetable rice bags
- Gold: The Co-operative red Leicester and pumpkin seed batard
- Silver: The Co-operative Truly Irresistible Granola Squares
- Silver: The Co-operative Truly Irresistible extra mature Gouda
- Silver: The Co-operative Loved by Us Piri Piri Chicken ready to cook meal
- Silver: The Co-operative Truly Irresistible Guatemalan Roast and ground coffee
- Silver: The Co-operative Loved by us Achari chicken curry
- Silver: The Co-operative Loved by us 6 British dessert apples
- Silver: The Co-operative Truly Irresistible Madagascan vanilla ice cream
- Silver: The Co-operative Truly Irresistible Ultimate Chocolates