We're tackling loneliness
So far, we’ve raised:
What we’re doing with the money
Co-op members and staff have raised millions of pounds to fund new British Red Cross services tackling loneliness in 39 locations across the UK.
These services, developed from the findings from our research, will help up to 12,500 people reconnect with their local communities by providing up to 12 weeks’ support to:
- build confidence
- address practical or psychological barriers
- help people find activities and groups in their local community
Hear from some of the people British Red Cross have already helped
Dave Crane - beneficiary of British Red Cross service (and now a volunteer)
"What I loved so much was that they didn't say to me you've been doing this wrong, you've been doing that wrong, never judged me, they just listened...People who are lonely just want someone to talk to for a few weeks to maybe signpost them in the direction of clubs they can join, things they can do...It is invaluable, it is absolutely invaluable."
What we're doing as a business
We’re changing the way our business operates to better recognise loneliness by:
- supporting thousands of community groups through our new membership offer, helping to build strong community connections
- relaunching our Employee Assistance Programme, allowing Co-op colleagues to confidentially seek support, including signposting to British Red Cross services
- expanding and developing our social groups for the bereaved through our funeral business; providing thousands of people with ongoing care and social support
- sponsoring Neighbourhood Watch to set up 30,000 new groups over four years to help strengthen and bring communities and neighbours together, including communications and support around loneliness
This is the start of our response. We'll be announcing more way that we'll be tackling loneliness and more opportunities to get involved as our campaign continues in 2017.
How you can help
- volunteer to help people experiencing loneliness
- call or pass on this British Red Cross number if you would like some support: 0344 871 11 11 (Monday - Friday, 9am - 6pm, standard call charges apply)
Why we’re doing it
We have a long history of campaigning on issues that matter to our members. From fair weights and measures to Fairtrade, animal welfare and global warming.
In 2015 we asked our members to tell us the big issues facing their communities. Overwhelmingly, they voted for us to tackle loneliness with the support of the British Red Cross.