The plastic packaging has been replaced with a card tray and sleeve, making the base easy to recycle.
Packaging and recycling
Packaging has a place, it protects our food and keeps it fresher and safe for longer. We want to keep plastics and packaging in the economy and out of the oceans by using less and making our products easy to recycle. Find out what we’re doing to make a difference.
Discover the latest changes we’ve made to our packaging that’s easy on the environment
How we've made a difference?
Our milk bottle tops are a shade lighter, making it easier for recycle machines to sort them.
Our own brand meat packaging is made with single material, making it easier to recycle and saving 163 tonnes of plastic from landfill.
Our water bottles are made from 50% recycled materials, preventing 270 tonnes of refuse. Find out how our water bottles help fund clean water projects.
Our pizza discs are made from cardboard, saving 200 tonnes of non-recyclable polystyrene.
Our Irresistible tomato packaging is cardboard not plastic.
In selected stores across England and Scotland we stock compostable bags so they can be used in food waste caddies and bins, saving 311 tonnes of plastic waste - find out how we're reducing single use carrier bags in store.
Our mushrooms don’t come in black packaging anymore so they can be easily recycled.
Our tissue boxes are fully made from FSC paper, without plastic so they can be recycled.
Be easy on the environment with these easy tips
- Remember to take reusable bags when you go shopping
- Rinse your packaging, this removes any residue to make sure it can be recycled
- Use your green Co-op carrier bag for food waste
Our story so far
We've always been at the forefront of removing hidden plastic and unnecessary packaging, from removing plastic from cotton buds 11 years, banning microbeads and changing our own-brand straws to paper not plastic. In 2017 we stated that we want to make all our packaging easy to recycle. We’ve moved from 46% of our products being easy to recycle to 74%. The result is that almost three-quarters of our own brand products are being widely recycled, 95% of the packaging for all these products when measured by weight.
We know there’s more we can do, see our works in progress
- Rolling out compostable carrier bags in more areas where household food waste can be recycled
- Making more plastic film easier to recycle
- Ensuring the packaging we use extends shelf life and limits food waste
- Collaborating with 25 project groups in non-governmental organisations, universities, charities, packaging and product suppliers, and industry groups to find better ways to package food, improve labelling and maximised the amount of recyclable packaging