A simple, lower-cost funeral option with the comfort of knowing that quality isn’t compromised, as we guarantee to provide our usual outstanding levels of care and standards for your loved one.
We understand that some families may wish to keep things simple or just keep the cost down, which is why we offer a Simple Funeral. There are some restrictions, but our Simple Funeral allows us to provide a caring and quality service at a fair cost.
The cost of a Simple Funeral is £1,895 in England and Wales, and is £1,675 in Scotland, not including third party fees.
Our Simple Funeral includes:
- provision of all funeral director services to make the funeral arrangements
- completion of all documents and liaison with all third parties
- advice, support and guidance
- visiting the private chapel of rest during office hours - due to the coronavirus pandemic and to follow government advice on social distancing, we can only allow a maximum of 2 people visiting the chapel of rest at any one time by a pre-arranged appointment
- bringing the person who has died into our care, within a 50-mile radius
- care and preparation of the deceased
- a funeral service - the number of people who can attend will depend on where you live. Please see our coronavirus advice for more details
- a Simple coffin
- hearse and personnel needed for the funeral
- an optional online tribute page, enabling you to share funeral details and securely accept ‘in memory’ charity donations
What isn't included in the Co-op Simple Funeral?
- there will be no choice of the day and time of the funeral and certain days and times may be excluded
- bringing the deceased into our care beyond a 50 mile radius (an additional mileage charge will apply)
- viewing the deceased outside of normal working hours
- a separate funeral service or celebration taking place before proceeding to the local crematorium or cemetery
- additional transport for attendees of the funeral
- third party fees (see below)
We understand that while you may want to keep your funeral simple, there may be some additional services you’d like, to follow traditions or beliefs.
Our experienced staff will be happy to talk though your needs and help you decide on the options that best suit you - we’ll then be able to confirm any additional costs that may be incurred.
Our additional services include:
- arranging for the funeral service, celebration or ceremony to take place at your chosen location before attending the cemetery or crematorium
- a chauffeur driven limousine(s) to follow the hearse
- arranging for the hearse and limousine(s) to attend your chosen location before the funeral, and proceed to the funeral ‘in cortege’ as a funeral procession
- a limited selection of floral arrangements and orders of service
How to pay for a Simple Funeral
Once all funeral arrangements have been made, your local funeral director will let you know how much the total funeral cost will be. You can pay at the funeral home, at a bank or post office, and we accept cash, credit and debit card payments.
The funeral is paid in 2 parts:
- You will need to pay a minimum of 50% of the total estimated funeral cost within 48 hours of making the funeral arrangements.
- For everything else, we’ll send you an invoice after the funeral. This final payment must be made within 28 days from the date of invoice.
Help with funeral costs
Coronavirus related deaths
If your loved one has died from coronavirus, you may qualify for support from Co-op Funeralcare's Hardship Fund.
If you can’t afford to pay for the funeral, let your funeral director know as soon as possible, as there may be support from the government available to you.
Pay in monthly instalments
If you’d prefer to pay for the funeral in instalments, you may be eligible to apply for a funeral loan through our partner Funeral Safe. You can find details on loan amounts and repayments, eligibility and details on how to apply here.
Third party fees
Third party fees are essential services delivered by others that we will manage on your behalf such as crematorium fees, gravediggers fees or payments made to a minister or celebrant. These will need to be paid at the time of making the funeral arrangements.
On average last year (2019) our clients paid £1,157 in third party fees but this is a national average and may not reflect the price you might pay in your local area. To find out how much a Simple Funeral will cost at your local Co-op Funeralcare, as well as an estimate of third party costs in your area, use our funeral cost calculator.
Celebration of Life service
As the number of mourners who can attend a funeral service is still limited at this time, you may wish to have a Celebration of Life service to help you remember your loved one in your own way. This service costs £700.
- a service co-ordinated and attended by a funeral director
- a limousine and driver to a venue of your choice
- additional items such as flowers and orders of service