All parkrun events in the UK are currently suspended due to coronavirus - read parkrun's latest advice and updates here.
Co-op has partnered with parkrun UK, who organise free, weekly, timed 5k events, across the country. Together we want to create a healthier community through exercise, food and lifestyle by providing #HealthySwaps ideas.
Small swaps can lead to great health benefits. We’ve got lots of ideas on how you can easily swap ingredients to make healthier meals that will give you the energy you need for your parkrun. You’ve probably got some ideas of your own and we’d love to hear about them. Tag us @coopuk and share your favourite #HealthySwaps
Take a look at our healthy swaps to improve your lifestyle
- Get closer to your 5 a day by making meals with 5 different colours
- Get creative with leftovers and challenge yourself not to throw anything away
- Try sweet potatoes instead of white potatoes as they count as one of you five a day
- Get set for a great day, don’t hit the snooze button, get up early instead and have a healthy breakfast - try the banana bread recommended by parkrun
- Swap fizzy sugary drinks for no added sugar and sugar free drinks or water instead
- Top your cereal with fruit instead of a sprinkle of sugar
- Try meat free Mondays, swap meat for vegetables or pulses to add more fibre to your diet and get you closer to your 5 a day - try the buffalo cauli burgers recommended by parkrun
- Use sweetener instead of sugar in your hot drinks
- Swap eating out for eating in - try the carrot and kale tart with lemon feta recommended by parkrun
- Swap white bread, pasta and rice for wholemeal or wholegrain alternatives. Also, try spiralised courgette as an alternative to pasta