Sales restricted products
We age restrict the sales of a number of products. We base these restrictions on the law, official guidance and member concern.
Products Restricted at Age 18
- Alcohol (over 0.5% ABV)
- Food products containing Alcohol (where from the presentation they are marketed as an alcohol product)
- Butane Gas Refills
- Corrosive Chemicals (high strength drain cleaners)
- e-Cigarettes and e-Liquids
- Fireworks & Outdoor Sparklers
- Knives & Products that could cause harm (such as scissors)
- Nicotine Replacement Products (Patches, Gums etc)
- Non-alcoholic Beer, Cider and Wine
- Strong Solvent-based Glues
- Tobacco & Tobacco Accessories
- Certain medicines not recommended for those below 18
Products Restricted at Age 16
- Aerosol Paint
- Certain medicines not recommended for those below 16 (Aspirin, Stimulant Laxatives, Caffeine Supplements)
- High-Caffeine Soft Drinks (energy drinks)
- Liqueur Confectionery
- Lottery Tickets & Scratchcards
- Matches and Lighters
- Party Poppers
- Petrol / Diesel / LPG
Products Restricted at 12
- Christmas Crackers and Indoor Sparklers
- Certain Medicines not recommended for those below 12 (Paracetamol, Ibuprofen, Codeine, antacids, antihistamines, Echinacea, nasal decongestants, strong cough medicines, adult mouth gel )
Products Restricted at 12 / 15 / 16 / 18 (depending on requirement)
- DVDs and Computer Games
- Challenge 25
We follow the Challenge 25 policy. Under this policy our store colleagues are trained to estimate the age of purchasers of age restricted products. If they believe the purchaser is 25 or older our colleagues will authorise the sale without requiring proof of age; if they believe the purchaser is under 25 they will ask the purchaser to prove that they are old enough to buy the products.
Proxy Purchase It is against the law for an adult to buy or attempt to buy certain products from the above list on behalf of someone under the age of 18. Retailers are encouraged to refuse to sell age restricted products if they suspect that purchase is on behalf of an underage individual.
We restrict the quantity of purchases of any products containing Aspirin, Paracetamol and Ibuprofen to a maximum of two in any one transaction.