Part sweet, part salty, this ultimate preserve for meat lovers goes perfectly with Co-op Irresistible Somerset vintage Cheddar
Each serving contains
% of adult’s reference intake | Carbohydrates per serving : 7g
Share this recipe
Shop online and get delivery or collection within 2 hours.
Shop online and get delivery in as little as 2 hours.
Available in selected areas around the UK.
Please switch to another browser to Order online
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- 230g pack Co-op British Irresistible outdoor bred dry cured smoked streaky bacon, cut into 1cm strips
- 3 red onions, thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 180g light brown soft sugar
- 200ml cider vinegar
- 200ml Co-op Irresistible
- Colombian Fairtrade coffee, strong and black
- Heat the sunflower oil in a large pan over a medium-high heat and fry the bacon for 10-15 mins, until really crispy
- Remove with a slotted spoon, leaving the fat in the pan
- Add the onion and cook for 15-20 mins, until soft and slightly caramelised
- Stir in the garlic and cook for 5 mins more, before adding the sugar, cider vinegar and coffee
- Stir the bacon back in, bring to a simmer and cook for 25 mins, stirring occasionally, until reduced and syrupy
- If the mixture gets too dry before the onion has really broken down, add a little water
- Allow to cool, then transfer to a sterilised jar and keep in the fridge for up to 2 weeks