Beetroot falafel pitta with carrot pickle
Prepare these bright falafels the day before, then simply bake when you’re ready.
Each serving contains
% of adult’s reference intake | Carbohydrates per serving : 53g
Share this recipe
- 125g Co-op British cooked beetroot, roughly chopped
- 400g can chick peas, drained and rinsed
- ¼ x 25g pack coriander, chopped
- ½ tbsp ground cumin
- 60g Co-op plain flour
- 4 Co-op wholemeal pittas, sliced open lengthways
- 150g carrots, coarsely grated
- 2 tbsp Co-op cider vinegar
- 1 tsp Fairtrade caster sugar
- Handful Co-op British baby spinach
- ½ cucumber, diced
- ½ tbsp Co-op olive oil
- ½ tsp hot sauce (we used sriracha)
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan 180°C/Gas 6. Whizz the beetroot, chick peas, coriander, cumin, flour and seasoning in a food processor until smooth.
- Using slightly wet hands, shape into 12 balls and place on a lined baking tray. Bake for 25-30 mins, until firm and crisp, turning halfway through. Put the pittas in the oven for the final 5 mins to heat through. 3 Meanwhile, pickle your grated carrot: put it in a bowl and combine with the cider vinegar, sugar, 50ml water and seasoning. Set aside.
- Remove the falafel and pitta from the oven, and drain the carrot, reserving the liquid. Divide the pickled carrot between the 4 pittas, along with the spinach and diced cucumber. Stuff each pitta with 3 falafels. 5 Combine 1 tbsp of the pickling liquid with the oil and hot sauce, along with a little seasoning. Drizzle over each pitta before serving.