Braised chicken thighs and summer veg
A tasty chicken dinner that everyone will love.
Each serving contains
% of adult’s reference intake | Carbohydrates per serving : 73g
Share this recipe
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 8 chicken thighs, bone in, skin on
- 2 red onions (or white)
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 4 carrots
- 2 sticks celery
- 200g baby new potatoes
- 150ml white wine
- 350ml chicken stock
- 150g frozen peas, defrosted
- Season the chicken thighs. Place the butter into a large saucepan over a medium-high heat. When the butter is bubbling add the chicken thighs skin side down. Leave to brown for 5-10 minutes, checking the skin every few minutes until it’s a deep golden brown.
- While the chicken is browning, peel the onions, garlic and carrots. Cut the onions into quarters, the carrots in half across, then into quarters lengthways, and cut the celery to roughly the same size as the carrots. Cut the potatoes in half and mince the garlic.
- Once the skin is brown turn the thighs and cook for a few more minutes (they won’t be cooked through yet). Remove the chicken from the pan onto a plate and set aside.
- Add the onion, carrot, potatoes and celery to the same pan used for the chicken, over a high heat. Let the vegetables brown well in the pan for 15 minutes, turning occasionally. Add the minced garlic for the last minute of cooking.
- Turn the heat right up to high and pour in the white wine. Stir to get anything off the bottom of the pan, then let it bubble and reduce by half before pouring in the chicken stock. Add the thighs back to the pan and simmer gently without a lid for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes stir in the peas and let them heat through for a minute, then remove from the heat.
- Serve in the pan at the table, or portion two chicken thighs each with plenty of veg.