Build your own pizza
Make your own pizza at home by following our simple video. Ingredients and method are included to help you as you make your pizza.
Each serving contains
% of adult’s reference intake | Carbohydrates per serving : 97g
Share this recipe
- 500g '00' flour or strong bread flour, plus extra for dusting
- 1tsp salt
- 7g instant yeast (1 sachet)
- 1 tsp caster sugar
- 1 tsp garlic powder (optional)
- 300ml warm water (body temperature)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small white onion
- 1 clove of garlic
- 150ml white wine
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 400g tin of chopped tomatoes
- 100g mozzarella cheese
- 100g grated cheddar cheese
- Any other toppings or flavourings you like!
- Place the flour in a large mixing bowl along with the yeast, sugar and garlic powder (if using). Use a whisk or your hands to combine them thoroughly, making sure there is an even distribution throughout. Season with a pinch of salt if you wish.
- Make a well in the middle and slowly pour in about 90% of the water and all of the oil. Use a wooden spoon to combine everything into a single ball, adding a splash more water if you need, then tip it out onto a lightly floured work surface.
- Stretch the ball of dough, using the palm of your hand, and fold it over in a kneading action. Continue for around 10 minutes, stopping once the dough is soft and elastic. Sprinkle a little flour on your hands or the work surface if it becomes too sticky, but try to use as little as possible.
- Return the dough to the mixing bowl and cover loosely with a tea towel or some cling film. Leave at room temperature for 2 hours to prove and double in size. *Use this time to make your tomato sauce if you are making your own.
- Peel and finely dice the onion and garlic.
- Fry the onion in a saucepan with one tablespoon of olive oil for 5 minutes to soften, using a lid and stir occasionally. Add the garlic to the softened onion and cook for another minute before splashing in the wine and including the oregano.
- Reheat to a boil and, without a lid, reduce until half the wine has evaporated. Add in the tomatoes, reheat to a simmer and cook gently for about 15 minutes, then season to taste and cool ready to spread on the pizza. (You can blitz it to get it smooth if you prefer).
- After proving has completed, preheat your oven to 220ºC.