Chicken picnic pastilla
Low in saturated fat, this Moroccan-inspired pie with shredded chicken, dried apricots and almonds is a tasty sweet and savoury combo.
Each serving contains
% of adult’s reference intake | Carbohydrates per serving : 34g
Share this recipe
Shop online and get delivery or collection within 2 hours.
Shop online and get delivery in as little as 2 hours.
Available in selected areas around the UK.
Please switch to another browser to Order online
- 2½ tbsp Co-op extra virgin olive oil
- 4 Co-op British chicken breast fillets
- 2 onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tsp Co-op Fairtrade clear honey
- 3 large garlic cloves, finely crushed
- 25g pack flat leaf parsley, stalks and leaves separated and finely chopped
- 1 tbsp ground cinnamon, plus extra for dusting
- 100g dried apricots, chopped
- 30g Co-op flaked almonds, toasted
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 4 sheets filo pastry
- 1 tbsp Fairtrade icing sugar
- Mixed salad leaves, to serve
- Heat ½ tbsp of the olive oil in a medium saucepan and cook the chicken for 6-7 mins on each side until golden
- Scatter the onion around the meat, stir to coat in oil and fry for 8 mins, stirring now and then, until starting to soften
- Add the honey, garlic, parsley stalks, ground cinnamon and apricots
- Cook for 3 mins, stirring occasionally, until the garlic and cinnamon become fragrant
- Pour 300ml boiling water into the pan, cover with a lid and simmer for 20 mins, until the chicken is cooked through, then shred it with 2 forks
- Stir through all but 1 tbsp of the toasted almonds, the parsley leaves, lemon zest and juice, then season to taste. Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan 180°C/Gas 6
- Brush 1 filo sheet with a little of the remaining oil, then use to line a 20cm loose-bottomed cake tin, so the filo overhangs the tin
- Repeat with the rest of the filo
- Fill with the chicken mixture and fold over the overhanging sheets to make a parcel
- Brush the top with a little more oil, then bake for 35-40 mins, until crisp and golden.
- Remove from the oven, allow to cool for a few minutes, then dust with the icing sugar and extra cinnamon, and sprinkle with the remaining nuts
- Once cool, this keeps in the fridge for up to 2 days
- Serve in slices with the salad leaves