Chocolate rum monkey bread
This enriched bread dough is packed with spices, nuts, and chocolate, then drizzled with a rum-spiked icing – perfect for sharing.
Each serving contains
% of adult’s reference intake | Carbohydrates per serving : 24g
Share this recipe
- 125ml Co-op semi-skimmed milk
- 225g Co-op unsalted butter, diced, plus extra for greasing
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 550g Co-op strong white bread flour, plus extra for dusting
- 50g Fairtrade caster sugar
- 1 tsp fine salt
- 2 x 7g sachets Co-op instant dried yeast
- 3 Co-op British free range eggs, beaten
- 1 tbsp ground cinnamon
- 175g Co-op Fairtrade light brown soft sugar
- 50g pecans, roughly chopped
- 50g Co-op walnuts, roughly chopped
- 50g Co-op Irresistible 70% cocoa dark chocolate, roughly chopped
- 100g Fairtrade icing sugar
- 1 tbsp Co-op Navy rum
- Bring the milk to a simmer in a pan, take off the heat and stir in 75g of the butter and half the syrup. Leave until tepid.
- Mix the flour with the sugar, salt and yeast in a large bowl. Make a well, add the egg, then the milk mixture. Stir into a dough, then knead on a floured surface for 10 mins. Put into a greased bowl and cover with cling film. Leave to rise in a warm place for 1-2 hours, or until doubled in size.
- Combine the cinnamon and light brown sugar in a small bowl. Grease a 2.5-litre bundt tin and sprinkle in 3 tbsp of the spiced sugar to coat, then do the same with half the chopped nuts.
- Knead the dough for 2-3 mins, then roll it into a 20cm square. Divide that into an 8 x 8 grid, like a chessboard, to give 64 squares.
- Melt the remaining butter. Roll each of the dough squares into a ball, then dip in the butter and the rest of the spiced sugar. Layer into the bundt tin with the chocolate and remaining nuts scattered around them.
- Pour over any leftover butter and spiced sugar, cover with cling film then leave to rise for 1-2 hours until doubled in size.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/fan 160°C/Gas 4. Bake for 40-45 mins, until risen and golden. Cool in the tin for 10 mins, then turn onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- To make the topping, stir the icing sugar, rum and remaining syrup together until smooth. Drizzle over the bread to serve.