Hash brown fish pie
Usually finished with buttery, cheesy mash, our take on a fish pie features an even more delicious hash brown topping
Each serving contains
% of adult’s reference intake | Carbohydrates per serving : 27g
Share this recipe
- 2 tbsp Co-op unsalted butter
- 1 onion, finely sliced
- 2 tbsp Co-op plain flour, plus 1 tsp
- 500ml Co-op semi-skimmed milk
- 30g Co-op Irresistible matureCheddar, grated
- 240g pack Co-op cod fillets, roughly chopped
- 220g pack Co-op smoked haddock fillets, skin removed, roughly chopped
- 220g pack Co-op salmon fillets, skin removed, roughly chopped
- 200g pack Co-op Irresistible jumbo raw king prawns
- 200g Co-op frozen British garden peas
- 2 tbsp Co-op tartare sauce
- 2 tbsp chopped flat leaf parsley
- 400g Co-op maris piper potatoes, peeled and coarsely grated
- 1 Co-op British free range egg, beaten
- 500g green beans, steamed
- In a large, deep frying pan, melt 11/2 tbsp of the butter over a medium heat and add the onion.
- Cook for 5-7 mins, until starting to soften, then add the 2 tbsp of flour
- Cook for a further minute
- Slowly add the milk, whisking continuously, to avoid lumps.
- Bring to the boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook for 3 mins, until slightly thickened. Remove from the heat and stir in the cheese until melted
- Stir in the fish, prawns, peas, tartare sauce and parsley. Season, then pour into a baking dish
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan 180°C/gas 6.
- Squeeze any excess moisture from the potatoes, mix with the egg and remaining flour, and season well.
- Scatter over the top of the pie, then melt the remaining butter and brush over the top
- Bake on a tray in the oven for 35-40 mins, until the topping is golden and crisp.
- Leave to stand for 10 mins before serving with steamed green beans on the side