Homemade breakfast bar
These breakfast bars are great on the go - mix them up by using whatever dried fruit you like.
Each serving contains
% of adult’s reference intake | Carbohydrates per serving : 49g
Share this recipe
- 50g sunflower oil
- 50g crunchy peanut butter
- 4 tbsp maple syrup
- 50g light brown sugar (or demerara)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 120g porridge oats
- 50g desiccated coconut
- 1 tbsp pumpkin seeds
- 1 tbsp dried cranberries
- 2 tbsp almonds, chopped
- 25g 85% dark chocolate
- Preheat an oven to 160ºC and line a 20cm square baking tin with greaseproof paper. Do this with 2 long strips, each cut to exactly fit the 20cm base but long enough to come up and over the two opposite edges.
- In a large saucepan melt together the oil, peanut butter, honey, brown sugar and vanilla extract.
- Tip the oats, desiccated coconut, pumpkin seeds and cranberries into the saucepan and stir well until combined.
- Roughly chop the almonds and dark chocolate on a chopping board with the rocking motion and stir it into the oat mix.
- Tip the oat mix into the lined baking tin and press it into all the corners, until it’s flat and even.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes so that it is evenly golden all over, then leave to cool for 10 minutes before lifting the paper and bar out as one and, once cooled, slice into 10 bars.
- Leave to cool completely before eating or storing in an airtight container.