Everybody has their own way of poaching eggs, but they’re notorious for going wrong. Become a perfect poacher with our fool proof method.
You will need
- medium eggs
- shallow saucepan
- slotted spoon
Cold eggs are best – if the egg is cold the white is less likely to spread in the pan.
- Fill a saucepan with about 5 cm water.
- Heat the water until you see small bubbles in the bottom of the pan.
- Crack an egg into a cup - make sure the eggs are really fresh so that the white is thick and will hold together.
- Slip the egg into the water and set the timer for 2 minutes.
- Take the pan off the heat, leave the egg in the water for 2-3 minutes or until just cooked to your taste. You might like to spoon the water over the eggs as they sit there.
- Lift the egg out of the pan with a slotted spoon.
- Sit the egg on kitchen paper and then serve.