Jammy rice pudding
Creamy and comforting, rice pudding is great for cold nights.
Each serving contains
% of adult’s reference intake | Carbohydrates per serving : 102g
Share this recipe
- 1 tbsp butter
- 100g risotto rice
- 700ml whole milk
- 60g caster sugar
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 lemon
- 225g blackberries
- 225g caster sugar
- Preheat an oven to 140ºC.
- Place the rice into an ovenproof saucepan (that has a lid) with the butter and heat over a relatively high heat to melt the butter, coat the grains and begin to fry the grains for a minute in the bubbling butter.
- Add the milk, 60g of sugar, cinnamon and the peel from half the lemon. (Peel using a vegetable peeler)
- Heat gently to a simmer, stirring occasionally.
- Once it’s simmering, give it a final stir and place the lid on the pan then place into the oven to braise for 30 minutes.
- Wash the blackberries and place into a second saucepan with the 225g of caster and the juice from the lemon that you peeled earlier.
- Heat over a medium heat to dissolve the sugar and begin to pop and burst the fruit, making sure you stir occasionally so none of the berries burn before you have enough liquid from inside the fruit to stop that happening. Bubble the blackberry jam for 10 minutes to soften the fruit and create a jam, then leave to one side until your rice pudding is cooked. *It will thicken as it cools.
- Stir the rice pudding one last time, stir for a minute or so, then divide between 4 bowls and serve each bowl with a tablespoon of the jam… make sure you scoop out the lemon zest. Save the leftover jam for another time, by covering it and keeping it in the fridge for up to a month.