Kheer (spiced rice pudding)
This creamy dessert, known as kheer, is made with basmati rice, milk and cardamom seed. It's deliciously rich and comforting
Each serving contains
% of adult’s reference intake | Carbohydrates per serving : 35g
Share this recipe
Shop online and get delivery or collection within 2 hours.
Shop online and get delivery in as little as 2 hours.
Available in selected areas around the UK.
Please switch to another browser to Order online
- 160g Co-op basmati rice
- Small pinch of saffron (optional)
- 1 litre Co-op whole milk, plus a splash more if needed
- 170g Fairtrade caster sugar
- 4 cardamom pods, crushed and husks discarded
- Pomegranate seeds and chopped pistachios, to serve (optional)
- Wash the rice once or twice, then soak in cold water for 20 mins
- Drain as much of the water as possible, then grind the rice in a food processor until it looks like coarse semolina
- Add the saffron, if using, to the milk and bring to the boil
- Stir constantly with a spatula, scraping the bottom of the pan to avoid it sticking
- Simmer gently for 25-30 mins, until thick and creamy.
- Stir in the ground rice 1 tbsp at a time
- Once incorporated, simmer for 35-30 mins, until the rice is cooked through and the kheer is thick but still pourable; if it becomes too thick, loosen with a splash of cold milk
- Add the sugar and cardamom, stir well and cook for 1-2 mins, until the sugar has dissolved
- Once cooked, allow the kheer to cool, then leave in the fridge until completely cold
- Sprinkle with the pomegranate seeds and pistachios to serve, if you like