Lemony leek and chickpea salad
Bright, fresh and low in saturated fat – pack this vegetarian salad in your midweek lunchbox.
Each serving contains
% of adult’s reference intake | Carbohydrates per serving : 47g
Share this recipe
- 1 tbsp fennel seeds
- 200g cous cous
- 1 vegetable stock cube, finely crumbled
- 1½ tbsp dried mixed herbs
- 2 tbsp Co-op extra virgin olive oil
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 1 Co-op British leek, finely chopped
- 400g can Co-op chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 tbsp Co-op clear honey
- 70g pack Co-op wild rocket
- 25g pack flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 4 tbsp Co-op extra virgin olive oil houmous
- Toast the fennel seeds in a dry frying pan over a medium heat for 2 mins, until fragrant.
- In a large bowl, mix them with the cous cous, stock cube and ½ tbsp of the mixed herbs. Season, then pour over 500ml boiling water. Stir to combine, cover and leave for 15 mins. Fluff up with a fork then toss through 1 tbsp of the oil, along with the lemon zest and juice. Leave to cool completely.
- Heat the remaining oil in the pan over a medium heat. Fry the leek and remaining mixed herbs for 8-10 mins, until starting to soften. Increase the heat, add the chickpeas, then pour in 100ml boiling water. Simmer for 8-10 mins, until the water has evaporated and the chickpeas have softened. Take off the heat and drizzle over the honey.
- Toss the chickpea mixture, rocket and parsley through the cous cous, then season to taste. Serve the salad with a spoonful of houmous each.