Mango lassi layer cake
GBBO finalist Kate Lyon shares her recipe for the ultimate summer cake.
Each serving contains
% of adult’s reference intake | Carbohydrates per serving : 53g
Share this recipe
For the sponge
- 350g Co-op unsalted butter, plus extra to grease, softened
- 350g Co-op self raising flour, plus extra for dusting
- 350g caster sugar
- 6 Co-op British free range eggs
- 1 half tsp baking powder
- 75ml Co-op semi-skimmed milk
- Juice of 3 limes, zest of 1
For the mango puree
- 3 mangoes or 3 x 250g packs prepared mango
- 150g caster sugar
- 1cm ginger, finely grated
- Juice of 3 limes
For the yogurt cream
- 400g Co-op 0% fat Greek style natural yogurt
- 400ml double cream
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC/fan160ºC/Gas 4.
- Grease 3 x 25cm diameter cake tins, then dust with flour and shake out the excess.
- In a large bowl, beat the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
- Gradually add the eggs, beating well after each addition, until smooth.
- Sift the flour and baking powder together, then fold into the batter using a large metal spoon or spatula.
- Add the milk and lime juice, then mix until incorporated take care not to overmix or your sponge will be tough.
- Divide the batter evenly between the tins and level the tops.
- Bake for 20 mins in the middle of the oven, then remove and leave to cool slightly.
- Turn out onto a wire rack and allow to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, for the purée, slice 100g of the mango for decoration and roughly chop the rest (if using whole fruit), then whizz into a pulp, or use a masher.
- Put in a pan with the sugar, ginger and lime juice, then heat over a medium temperature until the sugar has dissolved.
- Cook until the mixture has reduced by half and is thick and glossy.
- Put in a bowl to cool, then transfer to the fridge to cool completely.
- For the yogurt cream, put the yogurt and double cream in a bowl and whisk to soft peaks.
- Chill in the fridge until completely cold.
- When all the elements are ready, spoon a third of the yogurt cream onto the first layer of sponge.
- Evenly spoon over some mango purée and top with another layer of sponge.
- Repeat until all the layers are assembled.
- Top with the remaining yogurt cream, then a final drizzle of the purée.
- Arrange the reserved mango slices on top and scatter with the lime zest to serve.