Use bread mix to make these super easy bites – served with a spicy tomato dipping sauce.
Each serving contains
% of adult’s reference intake | Carbohydrates per serving : 17g
Share this recipe
- 500g pack Co-op white bread mix
- 3½ tbsp Co-op olive oil, plus extra for greasing and brushing
- 100g breadcrumbs
- 150ml Co-op semi-skimmed milk
- 500g Co-op 5% fat British beef mince
- ½ tsp fennel seeds
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 Co-op British free range egg, beaten
- 4 tbsp grated Co-op Parmigiano Reggiano
- Co-op plain flour, for dusting
- 300g tub Co-op arrabbiata pasta sauce
- Tip the bread mix into a large bowl. Combine 3 tbsp of the oil with 325ml warm water, then add to the bowl and stir to form a rough dough. Tip out onto a work surface and knead for about 10 mins, until smooth and elastic. Transfer to an oiled bowl, cover and leave for an hour or until doubled in size.
- Meanwhile, make the meatballs. Tip the breadcrumbs into a bowl and cover with the milk. Leave for 5 mins. Add the mince, fennel seeds, most of the oregano, the garlic, egg and half the cheese. Season, mix well, then shape into 18 balls. Heat the remaining oil in a large nonstick frying pan, brown the meatballs, then set aside to cool completely.
- Once the dough has doubled in size, divide it into 18 pieces. Flour your hands, then wrap each meatball in a piece of dough, and gently roll into little balls. Place onto 2 lined baking trays, leaving space between the buns. Cover and leave to rise for 30-45 mins.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/fan 160°C/Gas 4. Brush the buns with a little olive oil and sprinkle over the remaining cheese and oregano. Bake for 20-25 mins, until golden. Heat the pasta sauce according to the pack instructions, then serve alongside the warm buns for dipping.