Olive oil, almond & candied orange baklava
This syrupy dessert is certainly a treat - but a very, very good one. Flavours of orange and almond add a welcome twist.
Each serving contains
% of adult’s reference intake | Carbohydrates per serving : 19g
Share this recipe
Shop online and get delivery or collection within 2 hours.
Shop online and get delivery in as little as 2 hours.
Available in selected areas around the UK.
Please switch to another browser to Order online
- 100ml Co-op extra virgin olive oil, plus extra for greasing
- 175g Co-op whole almonds, skin on
- 1 tbsp finely chopped rosemary
- 7 sheets filo pastry, cut inhalf widthways
- 75g candied orange peel,cut into very small pieces
- 150ml orange blossom honey or
- Co-op Irresistible Fairtrade clear honey
- Preheat the oven to 170°C/fan 150°C/gas 3
- Brush a 26cm x 16cm baking tin with a little olive oil
- Put the almonds in a food processor and break them up finely
- Transfer them to a bowl and add the chopped rosemary
- Place three pieces of filo neatly in the baking tin
- Now, sprinkle one-fifth of the almond mix all over the filo, adding some orange peel
- Top with two filo sheets and sprinkle over more of the almond mix and orange peel
- Continue sprinkling the almond mix every two sheets (you should do this five times in total), then lay the last three sheets neatly on top, to finish
- Cut into 20 portions, using a sharp pointed knife
- Heat the olive oil in a small saucepan and pour it first all along the cuts you have made, then all over
- Cover with foil and bake for 1 hour, then remove the foil and continue baking for another 30 mins, until the baklava is golden
- Remove from the oven
- Warm the honey in a small saucepan
- Pour it first into the cuts you’ve made, then pour the rest over the whole baklava
- Allow to stand for at least 30 mins, to absorb all the honey
- Run your knife over the baklava once again, making sure it has been cut all the way through
This recipe is by Irini Tzortzoglou