The croutons absorb the lovely dressing - you can use up slightly stale bread if you have any
Each serving contains
% of adult’s reference intake | Carbohydrates per serving : 33g
Share this recipe
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1 small red onion (or small white onion or shallot)
- 1 red pepper
- 1 yellow pepper (or orange or green)
- 4 plum tomatoes
- ½ a 400g ciabatta loaf
- 1½ tbsp of red wine vinegar
- 4½ tbsp of extra virgin olive oil
- few sprigs of fresh basil
- Peel the clove of garlic and rub it around the inside of a large mixing bowl. This is just enough to impart the raw garlic flavour.
- Peel and finely slice the onion and place into the mixing bowl.
- De-seed and chunk the peppers into 2cm square pieces and add those to the bowl too.
- Quarter the tomatoes and cut out the seeds and pulp, then chunk up into bite-size pieces to match the peppers, before adding to the bowl.
- Rip or cut the leftover bread into small bite-sized pieces and mix into the salad.
- Toss the whole thing together with the oil, vinegar and season to taste.
- Rip in the fresh basil, mix it up and cover the bowl. Refrigerate for at least a couple of hours.
- Allow the salad to come up to room temperature before tucking in for the best flavour.