Sausage and caramelised onion flatbreads
These make great portable snacks for watching the fireworks with - just wrap up and go
Each serving contains
% of adult’s reference intake | Carbohydrates per serving : 72g
Share this recipe
- 500g Co-op strong white flour, plus extra for dusting
- 7g sachet Co-op instant dried yeast
- 1 tsp caster sugar
- 1 tsp Co-op olive oil
- 400g pack Co-op Irresistible pork sausages
- 2 red onions, finely sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Large pinch of chilli flakes
- 3 tbsp Co-op extra virgin olive oil
- ½ x 25g pack flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
- Put the flour, yeast and sugar in a large mixing bowl and stir to combine. Pour in 300ml lukewarm water, then mix to a loose dough using a wooden spoon. Bring the dough together with your hands, then knead for 2 mins. Cover the bowl with cling film and leave to rise somewhere warm for about an hour, or until doubled in size.
- Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan over a high heat. Squeeze the sausagemeat from the skins into the pan and break it up with a wooden spoon. Fry for 3-4 mins, until cooked through. Remove with a slotted spoon, reduce the heat slightly, then add the onion and cook for 10 mins, until caramelised. Lower the heat again, then add the garlic and cook for 2 mins more, before returning the sausagemeat to the pan. Stir in half the lemon juice and all the chilli, spread out on a plate, then leave to cool completely.
- Once the dough has risen, preheat the oven to 180°C/fan 160°C/Gas 4. Knock the dough back, tip onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 1 minute. Divide into 6, then roll each ball out to a rough circle 20-25cm in diameter. Brush off any excess flour, then top with a sixth of the sausage mixture, leaving a small border around the edges. Pull the edges over the filling and pinch together, then turn over and gently roll the dough back to its original size, being careful not to tear it. Repeat with the rest of the dough and filling.
- Heat a frying pan over a medium-high heat, and cook the flatbreads one at a time for 2-3 mins on each side. Transfer to the oven, then bake for a further 5 mins. Mix the extra virgin olive oil, parsley and the rest of the lemon juice together, then season. Leave the flatbreads to cool on a rack for 15 mins, then spoon over the dressing to serve.