A dinnertime favourite.
Each serving contains
% of adult’s reference intake | Carbohydrates per serving : 69g
Share this recipe
Shop online and get delivery or collection within 2 hours.
Shop online and get delivery in as little as 2 hours.
Available in selected areas around the UK.
Please switch to another browser to Order online
- 1 white onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 carrot
- 1 stick of celery
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 500g beef mince
- 175ml red wine
- 2 tbsp tomato purée
- 400g tin of chopped tomatoes
- 150ml milk
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 300g dried spaghetti
- 40g Parmesan
- Bunch of fresh basil (optional to serve)
- Peel and finely dice the onion and cloves of garlic.
- Peel and finely dice the carrot, then wash the celery cut off the top and bottom and finely dice that.
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat before adding all of the diced vegetables to fry, with a lid on, for about 10 minutes until all the veg has softened.
- Turn the heat up on the pan, remove the lid, then add the minced beef, breaking it up as much as possible as you add it to the pan.
- Cook for 5 minutes to gain some colour of the meat before splashing in the red wine and allow to bubble and reduce for a few minutes. Then add tomato purée, tinned tomatoes, milk and the dried oregano. Stir to combine, then heat to a very gentle simmer. Place the lid back on and cook over the lowest heat possible for 2 hours, keeping an eye on it as you may need to a add a glass of water if it reduces so much that it starts to stick to the bottom of the pan. Then season to taste.
- When you’re ready to eat, heat a large pan of water to the boil and add some salt if you prefer. Lower the spaghetti into the water and make sure all strands are submerged as quickly as possible and then stir so that they don’t stick together. Heat back to a boil and cook for 9 minutes before draining into a colander.
- Toss the drained pasta into the sauce and serve up between 4 plates. Finish with plenty of grated Parmesan, optional basil and enjoy.