Roasted vegetable couscous
Watch our easy to follow cooking video to make roasted vegetable couscous. Ingredients list and method included to make things easier.
Each serving contains
% of adult’s reference intake | Carbohydrates per serving : 42g
Share this recipe
- 1 red onion (or white)
- 1 red pepper
- 1 lemon
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 courgette
- 100g couscous
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 2 plum tomatoes
- 50g cucumber
- ½ tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp Greek yoghurt
- Preheat the oven to 240ºC with a large roasting tray in the oven to preheat too.
- Peel the onion and cut it into rough chunks, separating all of the layers. Deseed and dice the pepper into 2cm squares. Cut the courgette into similar sized pieces. Squash the garlic clove a little but leave whole and in its peel to protect it in the oven. Cut the lemons in half. (Keep the veg chunky so that it doesn’t turn mushy but has time to char, which is where the flavour is.) Transfer the onion, pepper, courgette, lemon (cut side up) and garlic clove onto the preheated roasting tray.
- Toss with the olive oil and season before roasting on the top shelf in the oven for 20 minutes, it should all be just soft and slightly charred.Boil water in a kettle. Pour the couscous into a large mixing bowl, having measured its volume in a small dish.
- Mix in the coriander and oregano, then pour in the same volume (using the same small dish as a guide) of boiling water.
- Cover the bowl with Clingfilm or a plate and leave to cool and absorb the liquid for 10 minutes.Remove the roasted garlic clove from the roasting tray, peel and mash up with the back of a fork.
- Squeeze the roasted lemon halves, through a sieve to catch pips into the softened couscous Tip in the roasted veg and mashed garlic, then mix it all up with a fork and leave to cool to room temperature.
- Quarter the tomatoes and cut the seeds and pulp away from their middles, then dice the flesh. Dice the cucumber into small cubes. Add both to the couscous salad and season to taste.
- Serve with a few dollops of Greek yoghurt on the side and drizzle over a little extra virgin olive oil.