Veggie scotch eggs
Our veggie take on scotch eggs swaps the usual meaty coating for a vibrant pea mix. It's the perfect picnic snack.
Each serving contains
% of adult’s reference intake | Carbohydrates per serving : 33g
Share this recipe
Shop online and get delivery or collection within 2 hours.
Shop online and get delivery in as little as 2 hours.
Available in selected areas around the UK.
Please switch to another browser to Order online
- 8 Co-op British free range eggs
- 300g Co-op frozen British garden peas
- 2 tbsp Co-op plain white flour
- 3 spring onions, finely chopped
- 200g fresh breadcrumbs
- 125g Co-op Irresistible Somerset mature Cheddar, grated
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- Vegetable oil, for deep frying
- Bring a large pan of water to
- the boil. Add six of the eggs and simmer for 5 mins
- Add the peas for the last 3 mins, then tip everything into a colander and run under cold water before leaving to cool fully
- Put the flour in a shallow bowl and separate the two remaining eggs
- In a food processor, blitz the cooled peas with the spring onions until coarsely chopped
- Add 125g of the breadcrumbs, plus the cheese, egg yolks and mustard, then blitz again
- Carefully peel the cooled eggs and roll each one in the flour, shaking off any excess
- Divide the pea mixture into six portions, then lightly wet your hands and shape a portion around each of the eggs, pressing gently, until completely covered
- Chill for 30 mins
- Fill a deep pan about a third full with oil and heat to 170°C — it’s ready when a small cube of bread turns golden in 20 seconds
- Lightly whisk the egg whites
- Roll the chilled Scotch eggs in the whites, then the remaining breadcrumbs to coat
- Gently lower into the hot oil and cook in batches for about 3 mins, until golden and crisp
- Drain on kitchen paper before serving, or allow them to cool, then wrap for your picnic