Shaved asparagus, white bean and tuna salad
Packed with raw asparagus, this fresh salad is low in saturated fat and counts as 2 of your 5 a day - great for a lighter barbecue side dish.
Each serving contains
% of adult’s reference intake | Carbohydrates per serving : 51g
Share this recipe
- ½ small red onion, finely sliced
- Juice of 1 lemon
- ½ tsp Fairtrade caster sugar
- 1 ciabatta roll, torn into bite-sized pieces
- 3 tbsp Co-op olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 150g Co-op trimmed British sugar snap peas
- 100g Co-op British asparagus tips
- 400g can Co-op cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 160g can Co-op tuna chunks in brine, drained
- 2 tsp wholegrain mustard
- 1 tsp Co-op Fairtrade clear honey
- 1 large rosemary sprig, leaves picked, or 1 tsp dried
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan 180°C/Gas 6. Pickle the onion: mix it with 1 tbsp of the lemon juice and the caster sugar, season, then set aside.
- Make croutons: toss the bread with 1 tbsp of the oil and the garlic. Season, then spread out on a baking tray. Bake for 10-12 mins, until golden and crisp.
- Meanwhile, cook the sugar snap peas in a pan of boiling water for 4-5 mins, until tender. Drain and run under cold water to cool, then halve lengthways.
- Shave the asparagus into a bowl using a vegetable peeler. Add the sugar snap peas, cannellini beans, tuna and pickled red onion.
- Mix the remaining lemon juice and oil with the mustard, honey and rosemary. Season to taste, then pour over the tuna mixture and toss to combine. Serve the salad topped with the croutons.