What are cookies?
Cookies are small text files that are stored on your computer, mobile phone or device. Cookies may be placed on your device when you visit a website or open a marketing email.
The Co-op and cookies
We also set third parties cookies to allow you to easily link to third parties you may be subscribed to, such as Twitter and Youtube. We do not control these cookies, but we check how these cookies might use your information before allowing them to be set on our sites. Please visit the third parties’ websites for more information on these cookies. We have provided a list of all third party cookies and links to further information below.
Some third party cookies are used to help us understand the performance of our marketing activity and improve the relevance of the adverts you see. We use these cookies to display products and services that we think will interest you, across our group of websites.
Our partners may also set cookies when they direct you to our site to buy a product. These cookies allow us to pay our partners a referral fee based on the nature of any purchase you make.
Below is a list of the main cookies used by each of our businesses websites.
- Strictly necessary cookies. These cookies are necessary for the website to function. If they are disabled our site won’t work.
- Performance cookies. These cookies allow us to count visits and traffic sources so we can measure and improve the performance of our site
- Functionality cookies. These cookies allow us to remember choices you’ve made on our site.
- 'cookie-notice' is used to detect whether the user has been informed about our cookies policy. It is a persistent cookie which means it never expires.
- ‘VisitedCookie’ enables a personalised homepage for first time visitors to this site. The cookie determines whether you are a new or returning visitor, then new visitors receive a 'welcome' version of the homepage. The cookie collects information in an anonymous form, the only information stored is whether you have visited the site before. Lasts 6 months
- ‘Play_Session’ when logged in, the cookie stores the user’s email address and password, so that they don't have to log in on every visit. Lasts 90 days unless deleted
- ‘optimizelyEndUserId’ and ‘optimizelyRedirectData’ allows us to use Optimizely X to show you the most relevant message, depending on how you arrived at our Food site. It also allows us to test different features on the site to see which are the most popular. Lasts 6 months
Co-op Funeralcare website uses a number of third party Performance and Analytics cookies, please refer to the Third Party Cookies section below for more information
Our insurance website uses these 3rd parties’ cookies for analytics purposes:
- Webtrends Analytics
- Google Analytics
We may use performance cookies in our emails to tell us how you interacted with an email we've sent you. These can easily be disabled, by setting your email client not to automatically download all content.
These cookies allow the website to remember the choices you make, such as your username or your location in order to provide enhanced and personalised features. For example, a news website may store your location to provide you with the most up to date local news.
We use these cookies to remember the font size you set on some of our application forms.
Targeting and advertising cookies
These cookies are used by advertisers to deliver adverts more relevant to you and your interests. They are also used to limit the number of times you see an advert as well as help measure the effectiveness of our advertising.
These cookies are usually placed by advertising networks with the website operator’s permission. They remember that you have visited a website, and this information is shared with other organisations such as advertisers.
We use these cookies to help us tailor adverts you see on third-party websites, by understanding what interests you on our website.
- Google Analytics
- ‘nl_cls’ This cookie enables personalised webpages for visitors to this site while allowing us to identify the source of an enquiry and lasts 30 days
- ‘cam_cls’ This cookie enables personalised webpages for visitors to this site while allowing us to identify the source of an enquiry and lasts 30 days
- ‘_wills_session’ This is used to track your session and identify you as a user as you complete the preparation form and will only last the session
Strictly necessary cookies
- ‘MEMBER_PORTAL_SESSIONID’ holds the user's session ID and last the current session only
- ‘gmid’ unique identifier set by Gigya and last the current session only
- ‘ucid’ unique identifier set by Gigya and lasts one year
- ‘email’ only set when the user ticks the 'remember me' box on the sign in page and lasts one month
- ‘tms_VisitorID’ attributes site interactions to members - is deleted 80 weeks after the user’s last visit
- ‘tms_wsid’ works with the tms_VisitorID and lasts 30 minutes
- ‘.ASPXANONYMOUS’ When The Co-operative sends emails, we track whether the emails have been opened and what links have been clicked on. Our email service provider assigns this cookie so that we can report on this and improve our email offerings, making them more relevant to what you want. The cookie length varies.
- ‘_utma’ The Co-operative uses Google Analytics, a web analytics service provided by Google. We use Google Analytics to collect anonymous information about how visitors use our websites. This cookies lasts two years.
- ‘Is_returning’ CrazyEgg may record mouse clicks, mouse movements and scrolling activity. It does not collect any personally identifiable information and does not track your browsing habits across websites.
- facebook.com retargeting tag. We will use the cookie to serve an advert from a Co-op Facebook page or Instagram handle to visitors of our sites. This cookie lasts 180 days.
- ‘IDE’ The Co-op will use this cookie from Doubleclick to serve Co-op messages on websites you visit. This cookies lasts 180 days
- twitter.com retargeting tag. We will use the cookie to serve an advert from a Co-op Twitter handle to visitors of our sites. This cookie lasts 90 days.
How to manage your cookies
Most browsers automatically accept cookies, but you can usually change your browser to prevent cookies being stored.
If you turn cookies off this will limit the service that we can give you, and may affect your visitor experience.