Leek and potato soup with crispy potato skins
Baking the potatoes first gives extra depth of flavour to this recipe
Each serving contains
% of adult’s reference intake | Carbohydrates per serving : 30g
Share this recipe
- 6 medium baking potatoes (about 900g)
- 1 tbsp Co-op unsalted butter
- 3 tbsp Co-op olive oil
- 500g Co-op British leeks, sliced
- 1 tbsp Co-op Fairtrade light brown soft sugar
- 60g walnuts, roughly chopped
- 1 ltr vegetable stock, made with 1 stock cube
- 200ml Co-op semi-skimmed milk
- Heat the oven to 220°C/fan 200°C/Gas 7, prick the potatoes a few times with a fork, then bake for 20 mins. Turn the oven down to 200°C/fan 180°C/Gas 6 and bake for a further 45 mins, until the skin is crisp and the middle is soft when you pierce it with a fork.
- Meanwhile, heat the butter and 1 tbsp of the olive oil in a frying pan over a medium-high heat. Add the green parts of the leek, season and fry for 5 mins, until starting to colour. Sprinkle with the brown sugar and 1 tbsp water, then turn down the heat. Cook for 15-20 mins more, until caramelised and sticky. Add a splash more water if the pan gets too dry. Set aside.
- Once the potatoes are cooked, cut in half, carefully scoop out the flesh and set aside. Slice the skins into strips, and put on a baking tray with the walnuts and 1 tbsp of the oil, then season and toss together. Bake for 10 mins, stirring halfway, until the walnuts are golden and the skins crisp.
- Heat the remaining oil in a large saucepan, add the rest of the leek, season, and fry for 5-7 mins, until softened. Stir in the potato flesh and vegetable stock, then simmer for 5 mins. Pour in the milk and season. Allow to cool slightly then blitz until smooth. Serve the soup topped with the caramelised leek, crisp potato skins and a crack of black pepper.