Mocha heart cake
Why not share the romance with this indulgent heart-shaped cake? Chocolate biscuits is layered up with coffee-infused cream.
Each serving contains
% of adult’s reference intake | Carbohydrates per serving : 24g
Share this recipe
Shop online and get delivery or collection within 2 hours.
Shop online and get delivery in as little as 2 hours.
Available in selected areas around the UK.
Please switch to another browser to Order online
- 350g Co-op plain flour
- 50g Fairtrade cocoa powder, plus extra for dusting
- 100g Fairtrade icing sugar
- 275g Co-op unsalted butter, chilled and diced
- 1 large Co-op British free range egg, plus 1 yolk, lightly beaten
- For the coffee cream:
- 125g Fairtrade icing sugar
- 2 tbsp instant espresso powder, dissolved in
- 1½ tbsp just-boiled water
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 600ml Co-op double cream
- To decorate:
- 140g pack Co-op Irresistible prosecco truffles
- Put the flour, cocoa powder and icing sugar in a food processor, add the butter, then pulse a few times until it resembles breadcrumbs.
- Add most of the egg mixture, then pulse into a dough — add more egg if needed. On a clean surface, cut in half and shape into discs, then wrap in cling film and chill for at least 1 hour.
- Roll each disc between 2 sheets of baking paper to about 5mm thick, then use a template (see tip) to cut out the heart shape, reserving the trimmings. Prick all over with a fork, then chill on a baking sheet for at least 1 hour. Repeat with the next disc, then gather all the trimmings together to make a third heart.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan 180°C/Gas 6. Bake the hearts for 15 mins, until firm. Leave to cool for 10 mins before carefully transferring to wire racks until completely cold.
- For the coffee cream, whisk the ingredients together in a large bowl until stiff peaks form. Transfer a third of the mixture to a piping bag fitted with a 1cm open-star nozzle.
- Pipe a single layer of coffee cream ‘roses’ onto a pastry heart. Place another heart on top. Refill the piping bag with half the remaining cream and repeat. Put the final heart on top and pipe with the rest of the cream. Arrange the truffles on top, and dust with the extra cocoa powder.