After a fail-safe recipe to make for a bake sale? These rich brownies are topped with chocolate biscuits and a bourbon-infused caramel.
Each serving contains
% of adult’s reference intake | Carbohydrates per serving : 40g
Share this recipe
- 400g Co-op unsalted butter, softened, plus extra for greasing
- 200g Co-op Irresistible 70% cocoa dark chocolate, broken into pieces
- 6 large Co-op British free range eggs
- 450g Fairtrade caster sugar
- 30g Co-op Fairtrade light brown soft sugar
- 1 tbsp vanilla bean paste or extract
- 80g Co-op plain flour
- 120g Fairtrade cocoa powder
- 300g pack Co-op bourbon creams, broken into pieces
- For the caramel:
- 100g Fairtrade caster sugar
- 25g Co-op Fairtrade light brown soft sugar
- 75ml Co-op double cream
- 1 tbsp bourbon whiskey
- 30g Co-op unsalted butter, cubed
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/fan 160°C/Gas 4. Grease and line a 20cm x 30cm baking tin, 2cm deep. Heat the butter in a saucepan until foaming. Cook briskly, swirling often for about 4-6 mins: it will turn a rich golden colour and smell nutty. Remove from the heat and stir in the chocolate until melted, then set aside.
- Whisk the eggs, both sugars and vanilla until fluffy, then beat into the chocolate. Beat in the flour and cocoa, pour into the tin, and dot with the broken biscuits. Bake for 35-40 mins, until just soft in the centre, then cool completely in the tin.
- Meanwhile, make the caramel: heat the caster sugar with 4 tbsp water in a deep pan, stirring, until dissolved. Cook for 4-5 mins, or until it’s amber. Add the brown sugar, cream and bourbon — take care, as it will splutter — then the butter. Cook for a few more minutes, then add a pinch of salt and leave to cool a little. Serve the brownies drizzled with the caramel.