Chocolate egg bread
This plaited bread is enriched with butter and then decorated with a simple syrup before being covered in sprinkles and chocolate eggs!
Each serving contains
% of adult’s reference intake | Carbohydrates per serving : 39g
Share this recipe
Shop online and get delivery or collection within 2 hours.
Shop online and get delivery in as little as 2 hours.
Available in selected areas around the UK.
Please switch to another browser to Order online
- 180ml Co-op British whole milk
- 50g Co-op unsalted butter, melted
- 3 Co-op British free range eggs
- 500g Co-op white bread mix
- 60g Fairtrade caster sugar
For the decoration
- 2 tbsp sprinkles, plus extra to decorate
- 150g chocolate eggs
- 50g Fairtrade caster sugar
- Put the milk, butter and two of the eggs into a jug and whisk to combine
- Tip the bread mix into a large mixing bowl, add the sugar, then make a well in the centre
- Pour the milk mixture into the well and mix with a wooden spoon until a loose dough forms
- Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 10 mins, until smooth and elastic
- Put into a large, lightly oiled bowl, cover with cling film and leave in a warm place for an hour, or until doubled in size
- Cut the dough into three equal pieces
- Working with one piece at a time, shape each into a rope about 40cm long
- Lay the ropes together lengthways on a lined baking sheet and plait together to make one large loaf
- Cover with a clean tea towel and leave to rise again for 30 mins, or until puffed up
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan 180°C/gas 6
- Whisk the remaining egg with 1 tbsp water
- Brush all over the loaf and bake in the oven for 25-30 mins, until golden
- Meanwhile, put the sugar and 3 tbsp water in a small saucepan and bring to the boil
- Cook for about 2 mins, until syrupy
- Brush the loaf with the sticky syrup, leave to cool slightly, then decorate with the chocolate eggs and extra sprinkles