These nachos are easy and ideal for sharing with friends. Movie night anyone?
Each serving contains
% of adult’s reference intake | Carbohydrates per serving : 45g
Share this recipe
- 2 small red onions
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 red chilli
- 4 tbsp of olive oil
- 400g large fresh tomatoes
- 2 tsp paprika
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 400g tin of kidney beans
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- 30g fresh coriander (optional)
- 1 lime
- 1 avocado
- 120g cheddar cheese
- 200g tortilla chips or corn chips, plain or lightly salted
- Preheat your oven to 180ºC.
- Peel and finely dice the onions and the cloves of garlic, along with the chilli. Keep them separate. Coarsely chop half of the tomatoes and set aside.
- In a saucepan (with a lid) with 2 tbsp of the oil, gently fry half of the onions and garlic for 5 minutes, or until translucent and smelling sweet. Add in half of the chilli, with all the paprika, ground cumin and ground coriander and cook for a further minute as you stir.
- Drain and rinse the tin of kidney beans and add to the pan with the chopped tomatoes then crumble in the stock cube, along with 250ml of water. Heat to a gentle simmer and cook with the lid off for 20 minutes.
- Use a potato masher to crush the beans into a semi-chunky paste, then remove from the heat and set aside.
- Quarter and deseed the other half of the tomatoes, then cut into a 1cm dice. Add the remaining chopped garlic, onion, chilli and half of the coriander leaves (if using), then mix in a bowl with the tomatoes. Add 2 tbsp of olive oil along with the zest and juice of half a lime. Season to taste.
- Cut the avocado in half and twist to separate. Scoop out the stone with a spoon, then scoop out the flesh onto a board. Roughly chop up then add to a bowl to mash with a fork adding a squeeze of lime (the one you previously zested), the rest of the chopped coriander (if using) and season to taste.
- Layer the tortilla chips in an oven-proof dish with the grated cheese. Put it in the oven for 3-4 minutes, or until the cheese has melted.
- Dollop over the salsa, guacamole and beans then serve with plenty of napkins on the side!