Spicy sausage penne
Adding milk to the sauce gives it a little creaminess, which balances the kick of the chilli
Each serving contains
% of adult’s reference intake | Carbohydrates per serving : 115g
Share this recipe
- 2 tbsp Co-op olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 x 400g cans Co-op chopped tomatoes
- 2 tsp caster sugar
- 150ml Co-op semi-skimmed milk
- 500g Co-op penne
- 454g pack Co-op Butcher’s Choice pork sausages
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 25g Co-op Parmigiano Reggiano, finely grated
- ½ x 25g pack flat leaf parsley, roughly chopped
- Heat 1 tbsp of the oil in a saucepan over a medium heat. Add the onion and cook for 8-10 mins, until softened. Season, add the garlic and cook for another minute. Stir in the tomatoes and sugar, bring to the boil and simmer for 15 mins. Add the milk and cook for 5 mins more. Take off the heat.
- Cook the penne according to the pack instructions.
- Meanwhile, heat the rest of the oil in a frying pan over a medium-high heat. Squeeze the sausagemeat out of the skins and fry for 10 mins until golden, breaking up with a wooden spoon. Add the chilli and cook for a further minute.
- Drain the penne, reserving 2 ladlefuls of the cooking water, then add the pasta and water to the tomato sauce and heat through. Stir in the sausage mixture, along with the lemon zest, and serve sprinkled with the cheese and the parsley.