Existing car insurance customer?

If you bought your car insurance before 3 December 2020 this information is about your product

What our car insurance covers

We offer comprehensive cover across the whole of the UK.

This means that we’ll:

  • pay for damage you cause to other people, their car or other property (also known as third-party liability cover)
  • repair your car if it’s worth repairing after it’s been damaged in a crash, even if it’s your fault
  • give you the market value of your car if it’s written-off, stolen and not recovered, or destroyed by fire.

Our insurance covers these sort of journeys:

  • social
  • domestic
  • pleasure.

You can also add cover for:

  • going to and from work or a public transport station
  • using your car for work, for example driving between different sites or customer addresses.

What our car insurance does not cover

There are certain things our insurance doesn’t cover, these include:

  • professional driving instruction
  • any journeys made as part of motor trade operations
  • hiring your car to someone else
  • motor racing
  • track days.

What’s included with Co-op Car Insurance

These features are included in all Co-op Car Insurance policies:

  • a courtesy car when one of our approved repairers fixes your car as part of a claim
  • 24-hour accident recovery service if your car needs to be recovered in an accident for which you could make a claim
  • up to £750 for replacement keys and locks if your keys are stolen (as long as you do not leave them in or on the car while you are away)
  • up to 8 days insurance cover in the European Union over the policy year.

Make a car insurance claim

Make a car insurance claim online and one of our colleagues will be in touch.

If it's an emergency claim such as your car being unsafe to drive, needing to be recovered from an accident, or it's been stolen and is needed for essential travel, please call us on 0345 999 8888^.

Let us know:

  • your name, address and policy number
  • if any damage was caused or any property was lost
  • if anyone was injured
  • where and when the incident happened
  • the other vehicle’s registration number
  • the other driver’s, name, address, telephone number and insurance details.

We need a Police crime reference number if:

  • your car has been stolen
  • your car has been damaged maliciously
  • the other driver did not stop and give their details.

Windscreen and glass claims

Use the Auto Windscreens website if your windscreen or window glass is damaged.

Auto Windscreens will take care of your claim. You can arrange a time online for the repairer to come.

There’s an excess of £75 for a replacement, and £15 for windscreen repairs.

A windscreen or window glass claim will not affect your no claim discount.

Frequently asked questions