An excess is the amount of money you pay towards a claim, regardless of who is to blame for the incident. The excess will apply to vehicle repairs following a fire, theft or an accident and must be paid to the repairing garage. If the vehicle is considered a total loss or is stolen and not recovered the excess will be deducted from the final settlement.

If the accident is not your fault and you have purchased Legal Expenses cover, provided by Arc Legal Assistance, you may be able to claim this money back using our Uninsured Loss Recovery Service. How much you pay depends on whether the Standard Excess only applies or you have chosen to pay a Voluntary Excess.

For further details on the different kinds of excess, see below. You will need to look at which excesses apply to your particular circumstances before you consider whether a voluntary excess is appropriate.

Types of excess

Standard excess

The standard excess is £150. This is the amount that you will have to pay for any claim other than a claim for the replacement of a windscreen or window, when a £75 excess applies. If the windscreen or window can be repaired, rather than replaced, no excess applies.

Young driver excess

If you or the person in charge has held their licence for under 3 months, there will be an excess if they:


Young driver excess

under 21 years


21 - 24 years


The young driver excess does not apply to claims for fire or theft or for damage to the windscreen or windows only.

Inexperienced driver excess

An inexperienced driver excess of £150 will apply where the driver is aged 25 or over but has held a full driving licence for less than 12 months. This is in addition to the standard excess and any voluntary excess.

Voluntary excess

For a reduced premium you may choose to pay an amount of £50, £100, £150, £200, £250 £300 or £350 (additional to the standard excess of £150 and, if applicable, the young driver excess or inexperienced driver excess). This voluntary excess does not apply to claims for fire or theft or for damage to the windscreen or windows only.